Monday, February 20, 2012

What is the towing capability of a chevy 305?

I am looking at buying an 85 Blazer with a 305 motor, the 700r4 tranny and 4.11 gears with about a 4" lift. I know I will be able to tow my quad trailer, but what about something like a 20' travel trailer? I know a 350 could pull it but i don't know much about the 305's.What is the towing capability of a chevy 305?
Yeah it could tow a 20' travel trailer, but it will be pretty loaded. Poor choice for a tow vehicle; the combination of the short wheelbase and the lift/tires does not make a safe travel trailer puller. But yes it will pull it. The 4.11s will make life for the 700R4 a little easier.



There isn't much difference between a 350 and a 305.



Invest in a sway control device so you don't turn 'turtle' on the highway with your TT.What is the towing capability of a chevy 305?
The 305 is a good strong engine, however the real question is.. how much weight is the 20' travel trailer? The chevy small block engines are well known for their durability, however the 700R4 transmission may have issues handling that trailer with the 4" lift, and the low 4.11 gears.



You need to find out if the transmission is the original, or if it has been rebuilt with heavy duty parts. If it's the original, you may want to consider getting the 700r4 transmission upgraded. There is a great company I recently saw on spiketv called monster transmission, they specialize in the 700r4 and could probably answer any other questions you have. Hope this helps, and good luck!What is the towing capability of a chevy 305?
It should pull up too 5,000 pounds pretty well. But having 4.11 gears is not good for the street its not even made for the street. It's made for off road or on the drag strip. I have a 97 chevy k1500 with a 350, all stock, except it used to have a 305 till it blew up, it would pull easy. But if I had the money I'd change my gearing to something like a 3.08.

No comments:

Post a Comment